Friday, May 20, 2011

Independent Women

Tonight I had a pleasure of visiting one of my students at his house. He was kind enough to pick me up at my house even though his house is located in the countryside far outside of Nouakchott. On the way there we passed many camels and little tents where people sell the milk. Many people from Nouakchott drive there to have picnics where they drink fresh milk, make tea, and sit on the sand dunes. Surprisingly, there were just as many cars at ten pm on the way back!

We sat at my students house, under a tent, drinking tea and talking for hours. I got to meet my his darling nine month old child and I was served a delicious meal. Most importantly of all, I got to meet his incredible wife who makes melehfas, traditional veils worn by most Mauritanian women. She showed me how she ties the thread to make designs that will later appear after the fabric is dyed. Her tools are simple, a standard needle and spool of thread.




I was mesmerized by her craftsmanship. My student was teasing me because I couldn't stop inspecting her hard work and asking her questions. She explained to me that there are two types of veils. One is cheaper cloth and requires less work. She sells them to the vendors in the market for about $17.The other is made with more expensive cotton and has more intricate designs. She sells these for $50. The photos below show the expensive type. 




She complained that since she had a baby she can't make as many as she used to. She said that now she can make four veils a month for the intricate type of veil while it takes six days of work for the less expensive type, as pictured below. 




She learned this trade from her mother and has since taught the techniques to all of her sisters. It has become a successful family business. She said that she has never made a veil that she couldn't sell. I ordered some melehfas from her and was absolutely charmed by her work ethic and humbleness. I was teasing my student that his wife earns more than he does, with his modest teacher salary it is very well possible! 

I love meeting inspired women who work hard to perfect their crafts. I have definitely found a new friend. It is too bad that my student and his family live so far away, and of course that his wife doesn't speak a word of English. At least we have a good translator!



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, thanks for sharing this. Your blog is so good to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Erika! That is so nice of you. Maybe I will have to bring you a veil this summer???!!!

    ReplyDelete