Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Roots Club

Today I visited the Roots Club at my friend's high school in Nouakchott. It is a new after-school English Club formed this year.



I love extracurricular activities. I remember really getting involved during my first year in college when I got assigned a work study job at the "Activities Center." I connected students with volunteer activities in the community and organized Blood Drives, campus clean-ups, and coordinated many campaigns and programs. I loved it. I started volunteering at a safe house for women and joined a handful of clubs. 


This love for extracurricular clubs grew more during my time in New York when I worked to support teachers and students in running after school clubs that raised awareness of global issues, such as a lack of clean water and access to education. I believe that incredible learning can take place outside of the walls of the traditional classroom.


In Mauritania, I have been so inspired by students' strong leadership skills and high motivation in the English Clubs I have visited. Today was no exception. The students coordinated an event and each student prepared speeches, in which they articulated the club's goals and summary of activities. They also showed a video of Mr. Bean and wrote on the board that "We will present Mr. Bean, America's funniest man, to have fun and make Ms. Delia laugh." The students are so darling! 


I wish that more schools in Mauritania had English Clubs. There is so much potential for these clubs to grow and provide a place for coordinated activities and events in schools throughout the country, such as spelling and writing competitions. I hope that more teachers become motivated to create and facilitate clubs in their schools and I will continue to think of creative ways that I can continue to support these initiatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment